Ask anyone close to me, and they will quickly tell you I don't really like children. I don't think babies are particularly cute, I've never dreamed of having children and I just find most to be kids really annoying. And then I met Jacob. He's my cousin Laura's adorable 19 month old son. I like to think our shared genetics is how he's managed to sneak his way into my good graces. Not to mention his smile and those blue eyes of his!
He was playing peek-a-boo in the curtains after dinner on Saturday. He took a shine to me the minute my uncle and I arrived at their home on Friday evening. He couldn't quite pronounce my name, but it's not so bad being called Slyn by someone this cute. Of course, young kiddos aren't all smiles and good times all the time. Let's say I was very glad to have brought a set of ear plugs with me for my visit, otherwise sleeping might have posed a problem hah.
This might seem like a normal photo to you, just a happy kid sitting in a lap. Except for the fact that in my twenty three odd years, this is the first time I've held a child under the age of six. Ever. At first I was kind of terrified to hurt him. And then I remembered that little kids are like... superhuman. Bonk their head, cry for a few minutes, and then off they go zipping around again.
Here is my cousin Laura with her wee one. She's only a year older than me, and doing the mama thing while also going to school full time. I have mad respect for that because I know I could never do it. She's patient, strong, caring, perseverant and so many amazing things. (Did I mention she and her husband moved from British Columbia to Ontario last month? Craziness!) I haven't actually seen Laura since we were in our early teens, but I felt very welcomed and so much at home with everyone. I just wish we didn't live four hours apart! My uncle works here in the city though, and the whole family often comes up to visit, and I'm warmly being included in everything which means so much to me.
This last photo was taken yesterday morning before I left to come home. He was so frigging cute in that wee knit vest! Gah! He totally knows he's adorable too, and knows how to use it to get his way. He was not a happy camper when he realized I was leaving though. He wanted Slyn to stay! I have to admit, I kinda didn't want to say goodbye to the little guy. I'm still VERY FAR from wanting to have any children of my own (you know, needing earplugs for sleep) but it's kinda cool I can sort of enjoy them for a little while. Until they need their diaper changed or start to cry, then mom and pop can have them back hah. Clearly my weekend was full of family and goodness, I hope yours was good too! Cheers!




2 comments:
I'm a pretty new follower and actually have my own blog on a bit of a hiatus right now (hope to be getting back into the swing of things in the next couple of months.) Just have to pop in with a comment and let you know how awesome it is to find someone who shares my sentiments re: children, and who won't think I'm a terrible human being for it! In my 29 years I've only met 2 children whom I've enjoyed being around.
what a cute boy!
http://forallthatjas.blogspot.com/
Post a Comment