I visited the St. Vincent de Paul thrift store today, at 1273 Wellington Street West, in Ottawa. It's along the lines of the Salvation Army thrift stores, although this place seemed to have better quality items in terms of furniture and jewelery etc.

This beautiful wedding dress was in the window.

I am sad to see that most thrift stores have put away their dresses for the season - or not yet taken out their cold weather dresses perhaps - and I can no longer find any anywhere. Which is bad, since I absolutely hate wearing pants. I spent all of last winter in sweater dresses and leggings and managed without pants quite well. However, most of those are far too large now as I lost quite a bit of weight this year.

Anyhow, since I saw no dresses, I decided to check out their jackets and coats. They don't have a huge selection, but what's there is of good quality, and very well priced. The whole store has very reasonable prices. I myself purchased a nice long trench coat for just $10, which I'm very happy about.
My new-to-me trench coat, $10.
There were some very interesting items tucked away here and there. I was rather impressed with some of the art they had for sale, as some of it was of very good quality (as much a someone who knows nothing about art can say!) My father found a portfolio full of sketches of places in Kingston, Ontario, drawn during the 1960's.

And then there was this thing, in one of the glass cases...

It's a seal, made out of real seal fur!
They do charge $0.05 for plastic bags, so if you're the kind of person who refuses to pay for your bags, either bring your own or go without. They also only had one change room (that I or my mother could see) and apparently the door did not even lock properly. I can't say for certain since I didn't have to use it, but I overheard someone who'd been walked in on say so.
All in all, it's a nice little thrift store. Not too much selection in terms of clothes, but what was there was reasonably priced, clean and of good quality. And if you like buying any other household item thrift, then it's a good place to check.
And now to finish off with today's outfit photo...
Top - Fairweather for $5
Skirt - Thrifted at the Salvation Army for $6
Anyhow, I have to go feed the tarantulas. I hope you all have a good Saturday!



0 comments:
Post a Comment