And I appologize for the oodles of photos of me, ahead of time. I have to admit to being a teensy bit vain and when I see photos of myself that I find pleasing, I like to share them haha...
I drove up to my hometown of Sturgeon Falls on Monday, and we only drove back late last evening, which is why I didn't have the time to make a post once I got home. Not to mention it's a near 5 hour drive and you don't want to do much of anything after that! The town was named after the sturgeon fish that rushed over the falls in large numbers when the town was formed. They eventually built a paper mill and power generating station and dammed the river, and that's where I went exploring yesterday.
My father used to bring me fishing here when I was a little girl, and I spent a lot of summers out here just hopping around on the rocks and fooling around. There isn't much in terms of entertainment in a small town, so I took what I could get, hah.

Dress - Thrifted from the Salvation Army for $8
Belt - Same as before, Ardene's 3 for $10


Lots of stuff gets washed downriver by the current and a lot of it winds up stranded in the shallow pools when they shut the doors and the water recedes. In this case, it was an old chair. All the boulders that are behind me were left there by the current, and once they open the dam doors again, they'll all either be swept away and replaced, or get moved around and deposited elsewhere. As you can see, my wool sweater made another appearance, as it likely often will in the coming fall. Thankfully the sun was warm and I was able to take it off as the morning progressed.





I've actually been around more than once when the alarm sounded. It's both exciting and frightening to know that any second a rush of water will be coming your way. They give you 60 seconds to clear the area before they start to open the doors, but that tends to be more than enough.


And that's that for yesterday! I think this blog is going to be a good excuse for me to go out and explore new places like these, and like Hog's Back Falls over the weekend... Not that I really need an excuse, but it helps get me out of the door! Speaking of which... I should be getting ready to go out and run some errands... Cheers!



0 comments:
Post a Comment