Thursday, February 2, 2012

Over The Rainbow

This outfit felt so marvelously me. The top is actually a dress, another sent to me by the wonderful (soon to be mama!) Heather over at Moonshine Junkyard. I'm surprised I haven't posted photos of this dress sooner, because I've worn it nearly once a week since receiving it. As you can see, the print is rather intense though, so of course logically a bright blue skirt came to mind when I wanted to tone things down haha...

Jan 30 2012 C
Vintage dress (as blouse) - Gift from Heather
Skirt - Thrifted from the Salvation Army
Tights - Fancy Sox
Shoes - Payless

I've had this skirt for ages but it's another I've rarely worn until recently. I love the colour and the way it moves, but I have to safety pin the gaps between some of the buttons and the colour doesn't mesh with most of my wardrobe. Apparently the skirt has found its style-buddy though, and is now secure in my closet.

Jan 30 2012 A

I imagine some people would probably choose not to wear this vintage dress. Not because of the print or that it's old or anything, but it has a light barn scent to it. Kind of like old hay and the memory of cattle. I've washed it half a dozen times myself, but once I have it on and it warms up a bit, I can still smell it. Personally, I do not mind at all, I have a few other vintage items that have the same smell. So it sat in a barn or a farmhouse for a while, that just means it's had less wear and will last me even longer!

Jan 30 2012 B

I'm trying to gather some people together to join me Friday for a live solo musical performance on crystal bowls, accompanied by paiste gongs, a santoor and vibraphone. I mentioned it to some of the ladies in my belly dance class last evening and I think at least one person will be willing. My life feels so full and bustling lately. I'm rarely home in the evenings or even on the weekend anymore. I feel bad about leaving my cat alone so much. He gets to hang out with me all of this evening though, since I've got creature-cage cleaning on the agenda.

Even though I do often feel like I'm running everywhere at a thousand miles an hour to get things done and see all the folks I want to see, I am very thankful. I'm making new friendships, strengthening ones I should have given more attention to long ago, and learning so much about myself in my daily explorations. Things aren't perfect, but that's okay, I'm too busy to notice. Cheers!

5 comments:

squidword said...

gorgeous chic heels and color on your skirt!! beautiful print on your bohemian blouse!!

bonfire of my vanity said...

i didn't know you were belly dancing! i want more info! do you like it? how long have you been in class? what style are you taking? who is your teacher? i want MOOOORE info, woman! so exciting when people start belly dancing. love how you use dresses as tops, very creative and versatile!

moonshinejunkyard said...

oh wow, i had no idea about the ole barnyard scent! weird! i never actually wore it, so never noticed. well it looks lovely on you and your creativity with outfits and colors never fails to amaze me. one of these days i'm going to try the dress-as-top thing.

Violet Folklore said...

Perfect combo! Some vintage smells can be so charming, but your story reminds me of a quote I just read from Lucy Liu, “Everything I buy is vintage and smells funny. Maybe that's why I don't have a boyfriend.” :-)

Lola said...

OMGeee love your paisly print top, it has a great vintage look to it and goes beautifully with the maxi skirt, such a great outfit!!

Post a Comment