Thursday, April 25, 2013

Beautiful Tarantula

Most people would never refer to any spider as beautiful, but I really think my big boy deserves such a word. He's got such lovely colours, he really is pretty. My male Pamphobeteus sp. platyomma molted a few days ago, and I've just been waiting until I could get a good shot of him post-molt before showing you all the photos. I feel oddly proud, like a mother I suppose. The first photo is of him pre-molt on his back, preparing.

Pre-molt Pamphobeteus sp. platyomma Pamphobeteus sp. platyomma molting Pamphobeteus sp. platyomma shed Pamphobeteus sp. platyomma mature male

There you have it, a metallic purple-pink spider bigger than your hand. My handsome lad! It's taken four years for him to reach maturity, and he started off the size of a quarter. I'm a little sad that the darling turned out male since that really shortens their lifespan. Females can live up to twenty years, but this fellow only has a year or two left to go. I am definitely going to cry when he dies. I hope at least some of you can appreciate these photos. Cheers!

1 comments:

squidword said...

OH MY GOD! :O amazing!
mychoicesaremystyle.blogspot.gr
Romwe giveaway on my blog

Post a Comment