Thursday, July 11, 2013

All's a Garden

I've actually been wearing some really cute outfits lately, but I've been too busy/lazy to take photos. My garden is getting plenty of attention though. I'm at the point where little wildlife is coming to live in and around the garden and that pleases me more than I can say. It was one of the things I'd been hoping for so it's wonderful that little creatures are making a home there now.

Toadlet Garden July 8

Toads are some of my favourite animals as it is, but itty bitty toadlets really take the cake. They're just so tiny and hoppy and cute! Perfect for eating all the little insects in my garden that might be harmful to my plants. My compost pile has been attracting other animals, mainly Northern Red-Belly snakes, my most favourite Ontario species of small snake. They're completely harmless and don't get much bigger than the one in my photo below.

North Red-Belly

They're another fantastic species to have in and around a garden because they mainly feed on slugs and small snails. I found this little fella living in the dirt directly inside my compost heap. There must be plenty of delicious things for it and its little snake friends in there because I've seen one almost every time I'm out there adding to my heap or turning the compost. I hope you are having a good week. Cheers!

1 comments:

Sian Thomas said...

I discovered a tiny little froglet in our garden yesterday :) Almost killed him because I was mowing the lawn! But luckily he escaped unscathed! Lovely to see what you've found in yours :)
xx

Post a Comment