Monday, September 19, 2011

New Additions

You'll have to forgive me if I'm not chipper. I'm rather upset due to some realizations I've made about the people I love, and over unfortunate circumstances tied in to those people. Let's say my life-long trust and unflagging certainty in someone's ability to Be Right and Make Better have finally been broken down and I'm seeing the real human being beneath the familial label. It's rough when your hero turns out to be just another mistake-making person.

But in more positive news... I had an amazing time in Toronto. My visit to the zoo was great, and the weather was perfect. I have oodles of photos I still need to sort through, some of which you will undoubtedly see here on the blog. The reptile expo was great too, and I got to meet a ball python breeder I'd been hoping to speak to.

I also managed to keep myself reigned in - due to those unfortunate circumstances - and only brought home two baby snakes. I acquired a female Albino Checkered Garter Snake and a female Kenyan Sand Boa.


The above snake is Jewel, the albino garter. As you can see, she's very tiny! And wriggly. Verrry wriggly. But she's a sweet little thing. Having been home less than 48 hours, she's already calmly exploring her surroundings and doesn't seem to show any signs of stress, which is great.


And this is my lovely sand boa, Halloween. She's actually very small, about the length and thickness of a pencil. I took this photo when I first put her in her new terrarium, and I haven't seen her since haha... These snakes are burrowers and spend the majority of their time hidden. But I just love little burrowing snakes, and these are a calm and friendly species.

I have photos from the Labour Day weekend to share with you all still but I don't want to write up a post when I'm in the mood I'm in right now. Until I get my head on straight and sort out these mixed-emotions of mine, my posting will probably be a little sparse. But who knows, I might feel amazing tomorrow (that would be nice). As is, I'm losing sleep agonizing over things I can't change.

I hope you all had a great weekend, and that things are better in your lives than my own. Cheers!

4 comments:

Rebecca said...

Tiny snakes are really cute.

moonshinejunkyard said...

oh man I am so sorry you are feeling down Cel. at least you have a couple new sweet pals to keep your spirits up, what lovely and unusual snakes. i hope that whoever this person is shapes up a little, or that you discover new and inspiring ways to keep yourself happy despite disappointment and others' downfalls.

a side note, you wrote on my blog that you weren't sure that you are making as great of memories as those i describe: i assure you, you ARE. going to the zoo, and reptile expos, and walks along the river, going out dancing at clubs, thrifting, visiting friends, staying in that cottage for a weekend, Motion Notion festival...oh my goodness just this summer alone you have created fantastic fun for yourself at every turn! i just have the advantage of time to look back and romanticize everything ;) and leave out all the work and sleep and trips to the grocery store and all that other boring stuff!

may you have peace in your heart my dear as you deal with this crummy situation at hand. i send you good energies and happiness and love.

oomph. said...

oh no...sorry to hear about your situation. not sure what i can say to make you feel better, but just know that you can count on me should you need to vent...i'm a good listener (reader)!

Jewel is very pretty...

[oomph.]
Blogaversary Giveaway

Ashley said...

Sorry to hear about your mixed-up emotions. :| I've had a lot of sleepless nights too, lately, and it's really a shame in these cases that there isn't something else to focus on, because losing sleep over things you can't change really is pointless. Yet it happens all the time. I guess everyone does make mistakes, and we'd be a fool to think that they didn't. But all mistakes are not equal. Some you can almost ignore, and some you can't. It's up to you to decide what you can deal with. :)

On the plus side....you've got some new friends to play with! As I've said before, I'm terrified of snakes....but I'm happy for you! If I wasn't so creeped out by them, I'd almost say they were cool.

Post a Comment