Happy Friday everyone! I had a very odd morning. I thrifted a pair of shoes last evening that I hoped I'd be able to wear to walk to the bus and from the bus stop to work. I made it about a block and turned around. My feet already hurt. I'd probably have suffered through it anyway, but I'm going dancing Saturday night and I need my feet to be in tip top shape. So I turned around and went back to change shoes.
I set off again, but just as I shut the front door, I remembered my bus pass had expired. I had to run back into the apartment to find change so I could take the bus to work. This on top with rushing around doing last minute tidying because my landlady was showing the apartment at 8am this morning. Somehow with all of this, I managed to still get in on time.
This week's FBFF is about blog exposure, and how to get others to notice and follow your blog without being rude or over the top about it. Let's begin!
1. Guest posts are a good way to gain new exposure. What do you think
is the appropriate way to go about securing a guest spot?
I have no idea how people wind up doing guest posts. I just assumed the person who's blog they posted on asked them to do it, not the other way around. It seems like it would be rude to go ask someone else if you could do a guest post for them, at least to me, unless you knew they wanted someone.
2. Leaving comments is essential to growing your blog. But how can you leave a comment without coming across as ‘Follow Me. Follow Me!’?
I never leave comments simply to get someone to follow me. I comment because I have something to say in relation to the post. I do tend to comment a LOT though, nearly on every post of the folks I follow regularly, especially on the blogs of those with less followers. I adore getting comments, and if my name keeps popping up in association to positive, topic-related comments on other folks blogs, I think that's much more incentive to take a look at my own than it would be if I just said "Cute! Here's a link to my blog, follow me!"
3. We’ve all gotten a mass email at one time or another asking for
blog exposure, a link exchange, etc… But the mass emails don’t work.
How do you make your email stand out from the crowd?
I've actually never received such an e-mail. And I've never sent one with such intentions either. Do I live in a strange e-mail free bubble?
4. In interacting with other bloggers where do you draw the line
between seeking support and begging for exposure?
The closest I'll come to openly asking someone to check out my blog, is casually mentioning it, in context to what I'm already commenting. I'll say that I made a similar post in my own blog, or agree I have some difficulty taking outfit photos for my blog. It puts it out there that I do have a blog, but not in your face and demanding attention.
5. What’s one rule of engagement error you made and how have you
remedied that?
I'd like to think I've never broken any rules. It's not like I'm trying particularly hard to get more followers. I enjoy writing my blog, and I enjoy the comments, but I don't NEED more followers. People will make their own way here naturally, I don't need to sell myself for followers.
Have you got plans for the weekend? I might be attending a bachelorette party tonight, depends on my mood. But the idea of getting dolled up and drinking with some ladies is quite appealing. And then of course tomorrow I'm heading to Montreal for a great dance party. It's Vibrasphere's last live performance in Montreal, since the duo are officially breaking up. Too bad, such beautiful music! I was at another live show last year and it was wonderful, so I definitely am not passing this up.
I hope you all have a great weekend. Cheers!







4 comments:
gosh your morning sounds so hectic! I have often regretted my choice of shoes somewhere during the day, too late to walk back and change shoes :D and I hate those follow me comments too. Seriously, who wants followers if they are "fake" followers?
Ahhhh I wish more bloggers took the same approach as you did. So many bloggers try to sell themselves to the extreme, and I have to wonder why. In most cases, blogging is just a hobby, and, also in most cases, it's always going to be just a hobby. Sure, it's natural to want to be successful, but I hate that everyone seems to think that success is defined by the number of subscribers your blog has.
Anyway. I enjoyed reading your answers. Hopefully your weekend will be less hectic than your morning was!
I really enjoyed reading these honest and candid responses! I wholeheartedly agree with you on how it appears that some bloggers seem to want to push to have followers--as if that was the purpose of blogging. I agree with Ashley as well, success is not defined by the number of subscribers your blog has. While it's nice to have people comment on your posts, blogging should be about having a voice, about exercising creativity and imagination and above all, as a means of self expression.
great answers. i agree with you on this subject, it's best to blog for yourself and if people want to come, great. if not, great!
have fun dancing! i'm jealous!
Post a Comment