Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Wate-on! You can't afford to be skinny!

I was catching up reading posts over at Andrea's blog, A Cat of Impossible Colour, when she mentioned an old add for a product called "Wate-on". (You can see her post here) I did a bit of snooping and just had to post about it!


"If you want to be popular... you can't afford to be skinny!" How on earth did we go from a mentality that embraced feminine curves and full bodies to a society that praises the skinniest and most malnourished of women? It just blows me away - and makes me feel so sad!

Generations of girls and young women are now growing up being taught that to be skinny is to be beautiful and attractive, and that this is the only way you will ever be sexy. Well what about being unhealthy, malnourished and starved?!



If we could bring back this HEALTHY 60's mentality of embracing your shape as a woman... maybe then! Of course you have the other side of the coin, wherein this add is in a way putting down thin women. Hey, if you're naturally thin, and you're healthy while thin, power to you! But we shouldn't have to starve ourselves to reach some sort of societal beauty ideal.



I wouldn't go out and support a society that says all women need to be super curved and all have hour glass figures either, but it definitely seems healthier and more realistic than the whole gotta-be-skinny mindset.

Now we just need to learn to love ourselves however our bodies are, and instead of focusing on how our bodies LOOK, we need to focus on our overall health. Anyway, I'm not quite certain where I'm going with this anymore, but I just had to post about it.

Another reason for me to wish I'd been around in the 60's though! Cheers!

5 comments:

Sian Thomas said...

Thank you so much for your comments =) These ads are brilliant, I wish that sentiment was still the same nowadays *sigh*! Also I loved your dress a few posts down, the one with sunflowers, lovely =D
I'm following you now =)
http://xrebelangelx.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I think I would have done MUCH better in the 1960s and 70s, I definitely grasp the culture much better, weight wise and headspace wise. They were all about anti establishment, the REAL deal not the kind of PC University crowd of today, (sorry for all the cool university crowds!) You know what I mean, alot of them talk the talk but don't walk the walk. I'm sure there were those types in the 60s and 70s but it sure seemed like there was more people willing to stand up and take a chance and be different. *smile* TZ

Cel said...

Thanks for the comment Michelle! I actually mentioned much the same thing near the bottom of the post.

Anonymous said...

Loved this post! I have to start reading more of your blogs, this one has caught my eye. It's so interesting how our society's perception on beauty changes and varies. If only fashion and society could come to an agreement that healthy is more important than skinny or curvy, but change doesn't happen overnight. We are coming a long way from some of the crazy diets of the past and our state of minds are slowly changing. Look at some of the commercials on tv for example, I've noticed a wider array of shapes and sizes than when I was growing up. Times are changing, slowly,ever so slowly, but it's better than nothing.

XOX Nat

Rosy (of Raindrops on Rosy) said...

This is such a neat post! I love it! Seriously made my day:) If you’re wondering how I found you, it’s because you follow another lovely blogger I follow (my fellow Oregonian Coffee and a Cardigan). If you could follow back I’d appreciate the support I'm pretty new to blogging! And I love followers more than fluffy, warm, banana pancakes!

Post a Comment