Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Happy Summer Solstice!

Hello everyone! I hope you're all having a wonderful first day of summer and longest day of the year. I took the day off work and went out into Gatineau Park with my friend Becky for a hike and a swim.

June 21 2011 E

Our first stop was at Pink Lake, to hike the trail around it. It was a beautiful day, warm and sunny. I never get tired of this lake, I could hike around it a thousand times.

June 21 2011 C
June 21 2011 D

I was so happy when we heard a garter snake slithering his way through the leaves on the side of the path. Of course I had to pick him up and say hello.

June 21 2011 I
June 21 2011 H

And did you notice? I am wearing shorts. Yup. Not a skirt, not a dress, but shorts. This is the first time I have willingly worn shorts out in public like this in a very long time. The last time I wore shorts, I had leggings on underneath, and I haven't been bare-legged-with-shorts in years. The closest to that has been wearing my romper, but that looks more like a skirt than anything.

June 21 2011 G
June 21 2011 A

I'll admit the shorts come from Walmart, but I've been searching in thrift stores for ages for shorts like these and that's difficult. So when I found these, I bought 3 pairs in different colours.

June 21 2011 B
June 21 2011 F

After hiking around the lake, we drove to Meech Lake and had a nice swim. There's nothing better than swimming in a cool lake on a hot summer day. Then we picnic'd on pasta salad and berry lemon iced tea before heading home.

It was a lovely day, and I could not have asked for better. Did any of you do anything special today? I hope you're all having a good week. Cheers!

7 comments:

Rebecca said...

That is a pretty lake, and shorts are definitely a good choice for outdoor time.

oomph. said...

the first picture of the lake is so beautiful! really sounds like a lovely day! nice to see some skin!! nothing special today...just work :)

rockoomph.blogspot.com

Pull Your Socks Up! said...

What a wonderful way to spend a summer solstice day - such a beautiful location!! I think if you find something that you love and ticks all the boxes it doesn't matter where it comes from - more shorts posts please:) xo

Ashley said...

First of all, thanks for your insight about my bear situation! We've had bears in previous years get into our garbage and into our bird feeders. Oddly, though, they only seem to do it once a year and they move on. This guy was just passing through--it was kind of funny actually, because he just walked right up our driveway, around the house, and back into the woods in our backyard without thinking twice about anything but his little mission. Still, I'm probably going to be a little bit wary about things for a while, even though I know it's nothing to be worried about!

I'm very envious of your summer solstice celebration. It's been rainy and cold here for the past week, so I haven't done anything. I really like your hat. I don't like the snake, however! I know they're tiny and harmless, but I'm squealing at that pic of you holding it. I obviously am not down with the wildlife, am I? :)

Meagan@Style-Edition said...

Looks amazing! I wish I could have celebrated the solstice with a swim in a lake that nice! Sadly, I'm locked up in front of my computer at work haha...

two birds said...

what a lovely day! it is gorgeous there! i can't believe you picked up a snake, though. you brave woman, you.

i had to come and comment right away about the bread/rice issue. i do eat bread and rice. tons of it. just not white flour bread or white rice. i didn't want you to think i was a crazy, no-carb lady! ha!

Vanessa said...

I took a long drive yesterday during the solstice - but the views were gloomy and rainy for miles and miles. So much for the longest sunlight of the year -- all cloud cover for me!

Post a Comment